Associate Translation Consultant
This is not just a job opportunity, this is an opportunity to transform lives!
Translation Services of Bible League International selects and trains first-language translation teams to produce Easy-to-Read™ translations of the Bible and Bible-related products for selected audiences according to needs determined in conjunction with ministry partners.
The Associate Translation Consultant assists in monitoring project progress and project quality control with a view toward publication and use for evangelism and discipleship in local Christian denominations and partner ministries. The Associate Translation Consultant checks the quality of a translation by its faithfulness to the original languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic) and its apparent clarity and readability for the receptor audiences in keeping with the best contemporary biblical, missiological, and translation scholarship.
This position will be located in our Hurst, TX office.
- Assist Executive Director and Senior Director of Translation Services in all areas related to successful implementation and completion of translation projects.
- Perform exegetical checking of back translations from BLI projects.
- Participate in the exegetical checking procedures with first-language translators.
- Assist in the planning and organization of translation projects.
- Assist in recruiting and training new project teams.
- Assist in field-testing new translations.
- Assist in the development and revision of resources for first-language translators.
- Write articles on translation related subjects for publication.
- Travel as necessary to carry out the above responsibilities. International travel required. Minimal domestic travel is anticipated.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Responsible to: Senior Director of Global Translation Services
Collaborates with: Translation staff, both domestic and abroad
- Must be a Christian, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Must also agree with our statement of faith and conduct his/herself in a Christ-like manner.
- Earned doctorate in biblical studies or a Master’s degree in biblical studies with a doctorate in a discipline related to translation, such as linguistics.
- Competence in biblical Greek and Hebrew and familiarity with the history, cultures, and literatures of the ancient Near East and Greco-Roman world, as well as knowledge of the methods of current biblical exegesis and interpretation.
- Commitment to the principles of functional equivalence/meaning-based translation with ability to apply these principles as well as insights from linguistic studies to ensure that a translation is properly contextualized for the chosen audience.
- Cross-cultural experience is required.
- Experience working in translation projects is preferred.
- Candidate will possess a working knowledge of another modern language besides English (oral fluency preferred).
- Ability to work alone in detailed checking of texts and cooperatively with team members, including those from other theological or ecclesiastical traditions.
- Should be able to write and communicate clearly and simply.
- Must be able to accept constructive feedback and reach consensus on disputed points.
- Ability to organize projects and cooperate in the planning and organization of translation projects.
- Commitment to and competence in shaping the translation process and translation product to meet the needs of ministry partners and churches for the task of evangelism and discipleship.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally between 10%-15% of the year.
Standards of Performance
- Comply with established organizational rules and policies.
- Perform duties efficiently and responsibly.
- Utilize time for maximum effectiveness and productivity.
- Demonstrate consistent attitude of cooperation and cultural sensitivity.
- In day-to-day responsibilities, this position will carry out Bible League International’s core values which are:
- We believe this ministry belongs to God.
- We believe the world needs a relationship with Jesus Christ, God’s Word, more than anything.
- We believe integrity is the foundation of all our decisions and actions.
- We believe we are accountable to God and people to steward wisely the resources God entrusts to us.
- We believe that building strong relationships with our colleagues, ministry partners, donors, and vendors is essential to the fulfillment of our ministry commitments.
- We believe that all our employees should be valued and respected.
- We believe that all our employees should be encouraged in their faith-walk and professional growth and development.
- We believe that innovation and adaptability are essential for efficient and effective ministry.
A performance appraisal will be conducted after the initial 90 days and 6 months of a new position, and annually thereafter by the Senior Director of Translation Services.
Bible League International offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including a generous 401k plan. As a part of our Statement of Faith BLI champions the training and professional of our employees. If you want to learn more about this exciting role or if you would like to apply, please visit our application site here.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Bible League International is a nonprofit, non-denominational, faith-based organization. Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act Section 702, the Bible League has the right to hire only candidates who agree with Bible League’s Statement of Faith and profess Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.