Ministry Amid a Pandemic
The Gospel is Spreading Despite COVID-19
March 30, 2020
The word pandemic is scary. It means a global outbreak that occurs when a new disease emerges. Because the disease is so new, there’s no immunity, meaning it spreads, and fast.
But what’s even more powerful is the Gospel.
We’re getting reports from staff and partners around the world of Project Philip Bible studies, trainings, church services, and evangelism still happening, despite the pandemic. Believers are finding new ways to worship and share the Gospel while respecting government restrictions.
In Africa, ministry is happening in some countries but has stopped in others. Ministry leaders in Ghana have started a new program, “Desert Evangelism,” focusing on one-on-one discipleship like the story of Philip in Acts. In Zimbabwe, Project Philip Bible study groups are partnering with government healthcare workers to minister to people in remote areas while teaching them about the risks of COVID-19.
Across East Asia, believers are holding online Bible studies to continue ministry. Churches in urban areas of Malaysia have moved to online services, and believers in Indonesia are utilizing the WhatsApp messaging platform for Project Philip Bible studies.
In Muslim-dominated Albania, two Project Philip Bible studies were just started last week. People are searching for hope amid this crisis.
While ministry is continuing in some places, in others, it’s at a standstill. Pray that God would make a way for people to continue to meet and share the Gospel.
We’ve included prayer and praise items below from our President Jos Snoep. Let’s all join together in prayer and praise to the One in control. The Lord is sovereign over this situation and He continues to work. He promises to use all things for the good of those who love Him, even a global pandemic.
- Praise God for the assurance that for those who love Him, all things work together for good.
- Praise God for Jesus Christ, our Savior and the One we desire to follow.
- Praise God for His calling on each of us to be part of His ministry.
- Praise God for donors, partners, volunteers, board members, Philips and many others involved in Bible League International.
- Praise God for His vision to gather people from every nation, tribe, people and language to worship and shout out: “Salvation belongs to our
- God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”
- Pray for the world and the concerns it is facing. We pray for those affected by the virus and in need of healing and comfort.
- Pray for the Church to respond differently than the world in these times of concern. We pray that we are a light of the world and the salt of the earth. We pray that fear is softening the hearts of people and a way for the Gospel to be preached and received.
- Pray for the Bible League family worldwide. We pray for protection, renewed hearts and courage to serve.
- Pray for our hearts, to humble ourselves before the Lord, He is in control. We pray that we are becoming less, and He is becoming more.